Search This Blog

Monday 23 April 2018

Last Great Dreamers - Nice N Sleazy (Glasgow) 21/04/18


No matter how you engage with live music it is a fact that not every single show you attend will send you home with a jaw aching smile etched on your face, a ringing in your ears that is competing with the roaring beat of your heart, and a belief that rock and roll can change the world.
They come few and far between at the best of times, but when they do they serve to reaffirm your faith in all that is good about diving headlong into music.
If you do manage to be in the right place at the right time to experience one of these gigs then they serve to act as a solid adrenaline kick to the system, an amphetamine rush to the senses that makes the world sharper, brighter, and just that bit easier to deal with.
And that’s exactly what the Last Great Dreamers delivered when they rolled into Glasgow to dispense their own brand of elegantly wasted rock and roll.
It was one of those rare as rocking horse shit gigs that provided a huge dose of undiluted high octane salvation from the grind of life.

Yeah, okay, I’m a sucker for the style of music they play, but that being said I have seen plenty of bands do variations of it, and while I’ve had a blast at the time it’s fair to say few press down as hard on all my buttons as these guys do.
Hanoi Rocks did it. The New York Dolls too. It’s not that I’m claiming that the Last Great Dreamers are impersonators of these bands, but rather that they share the energy levels and attitude that they had. When you go and see the Last Great Dreamers it’s all one hundred percent Last Great Dreamers that you get. They aren't imposters to the throne, but rather they are the descendents just waiting to be told to take a seat.

That I was unaware of who they were mere months ago is something that I’m coming to terms with. I could have had years worshiping at their altar but with my attention diverted elsewhere I missed out. That’s the past now, and there’s no point spilling hot tears onto the keyboard dwelling on it because I’m here now.
And late to the party I might be, but I’m ready to spread the word like some gutter preacher with an evangelical hard on for this band.

Ask me to give them marks out of ten for their set and I will look you directly in the eye and say it was about a twenty. I dare you to even question the logic to that reply.

Unfortunately the tour is finished now. You missed it, and you are now going to have to take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror and accept that you let yourself down.
On the upside they will be back. There are some festival dates in the pipeline and hopefully I can persuade them to come back to Scotland at some point in the not too distant future. I want a piece of this pie.

It’s still early in the year, and we have already enjoyed some very special gigs, but this wasn't one of those very special ones. It was more than that. Much more.  



No comments:

Post a Comment