Search This Blog

Thursday 24 May 2018

Back to the seventies


I love a bit of Dr Feelgood, and I’m equally enamoured with a  great deal of the pub rockers that predated punk, but when the plaudits are thrown at them as being some sort of sole chain in the link that took us from the bloated stadium rockers to the year zero snarl of punk I get a bit uppity.

What about glam rock?

Bowie, Roxy Music, Slade, Mott the Hoople, Marc Bolan, and so many more, were right there at the birthing of punk rock, and their DNA is stamped throughout the wailing of the nascent scene.
With their chart topping hits they most definitely influenced punk far more than a band playing on a Friday night in the local boozer purely by dint of having that greater reach.

Mick Jones was a Mott fanatic, everyone loved Bowie, would we have the Stooges success in the UK without him?

How about Bolan and the Damned?

And on the subject of Bolan this musical is looking rather good.

 20th Century Boy is currently mid run with these dates still to come.

1-5 May  BRADFORD ALHAMBRA 
9-12 May  KINGSTON ROSE THEATRE
14-16 May  CRAWLEY THE HAWTH THEATRE
17-20 May  ST ALBANS ARENA
22-26 May  NOTTINGHAM THEATRE ROYAL
28-30 May  PRESTON CHARTER THEATRE
31-2 June  LINCOLN THEATRE ROYAL
4-6 June  GLASGOW KINGS THEATRE
7-9 June  CARLISLE SANDS
12-13 June  DARTFORD ORCHARD THEATRE
14-16 June  LLANDUDNO
21-23 June  WYCOMBE SWAN
26-27 June  YORK BARBICAN
28-30 June  CHELMSFORD CIVIC 

As a primary school kid I would religiously watch Marc Bolan on tv. I'd pour over newspapers to see what shows he would be on and commandeer the tv for the duration of his appearance.
I was a fanatic, and my bedroom was a shrine to him.
Too young to have been caught up in Bolanmania I didn't really care as it was still going on in my head.
Other kids didn't get it, but even at this young age I was already used to being out of step with my peers.

The lads were all into football, but I was wondering if I could get away with wearing eye make up. Everyone wanted to stay up and see the Sweeny, but I was more likely to be sneaking a peak at Monty Python.

When it was announced that he was playing Glasgow my head exploded.

March 12, 1977 – Apollo Theatre, Glasgow (supported by The Damned)

I was ten years old, and with some determination I set out to have my parents let me go, or take me.
Tears before bedtime followed tantrums as my pleading fell on deaf ears.
To be fair no parents were allowing ten year olds to go to gigs alone, and if any took their kids then I don't remember it happening.
My childish mind couldn't understand why they wouldn't accommodate my need to see my idol though.
It especially struggled with resentment when the news of his death knocked me for six as the awareness that I would never see him settled in.
In hindsight all is forgiven. Or nearly all because if I'm honest there's a tiny little kernel of resentment still lodged in a corner of my mind.

Still, this looks like it could provide some closure.

The critical reviews are positive, and the more important public reaction is even better.

I guess I might need to look the glitter out.


Wait! That isn’t enough love for the seventies being shown?

Well how about this.

Holy Holy will be back next year.

FEBRUARY
08 YORK, ENGLAND
09 LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND
10 GLASGOW, SCOTLAND
12 NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, ENGLAND
13 BIRMINGHAM, ENGLAND
15 SALISBURY, ENGLAND
16 CARDIFF, WALES
17 BEXHILL-ON-SEA, ENGLAND
19 GUILDFORD, ENGLAND
20 LONDON, ENGLAND
21 MANCHESTER, ENGLAND
23 LEAMINGTON SPA, ENGLAND
24 CAMBRIDGE, ENGLAND



The first time Kelly and I seen Holy Holy it ranked up there as one of those "you should have been there" gigs.
The ensemble cast of musicians delivered a spectacular, and emotionally charged, performance that left those attending appreciating that they had seen something very special indeed.
Unfortunately our second experience failed to hit similar heights. It was a perfect storm scenario that sucked a great deal of fun from attending.
Hiked ticket prices impacted on the turn out, the seating put in place at the last minute to make it look busier just served to provide a dead space front of the stage, and while Glenn valiantly soldiered on with a cold affecting his vocals the Academy's notoriously poor sound was sabotaging his efforts throughout.
"Ziggy" comes a close second to "Hunky Dory" as my favourite Bowie album and the opportunity to see Holy Holy do it in its entirety was something that had me giddy with excitement for months leading up to it, but the reality ultimately left me feeling deflated.
Tickets for this one are however being sold far in advance of the event which may well address the poor uptake from last time, and the show has returned to the ABC which most definitely suits it better.
That's two positives to consider, and on balance I think we will go back for a third bite of Holy Holy.
Fingers crossed that health issues are avoided and this time we get the Ziggy material delivered in a manner that sends jolts of electricity up and down our spines.


No comments:

Post a Comment